Last time I posted about the master bedroom was a couple of months ago, and since then I’ve been doing a little bit of shopping, a whole lot of planning and a bit of talking all of it over with Lover. I feel like I have a solid direction, and it’s all starting to come together.
Initially, I was going to basically start from scratch. I was sure that pretty much the only thing I liked in the room was the bed frame and mattress, and I was starting over with everything else. But, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I needed to identify what was working and what wasn’t, otherwise I would just be in the same position a year from now – new stuff but same old problems.
I have a Pinterest board for this house, https://www.pinterest.com/jennywendhurst/amherst/ and I’ve been slowly pinning a few different images that really jump out at me with the feel that I am going for in our room. I spent some time a couple of weeks ago trying to narrow down what exactly the repeating elements are in the rooms I am drawn to, and this is what I came up with.
- TEXTURE: I really, really, really LOVE texture. It’s the reason I am drawn to wicker and baskets and fur and leather and crocheted things. You know how mid-century modern furniture is all smooth lines and straight glossy finishes? SO not me.
- SHEER: I love the way that light is diffused through sheer things like lace, translucent glass, decorative screens, etc. It makes the light so soft and etheral… it’s my favorite.
- MOMENTS: In the decorating world these are called “vignettes”, basically they are little corners or spots in your room where all the elements come together to make a beautiful picture.
- WOOD, especially CARVED WOOD: I love the warmth and life that stained wood brings to a room, and if it’s carved then I can just die right there happy forever.
- INTERESTING LIGHTING: I feel like lighting is like jewelry, it can take a calm and simple room and make it something really fun and original. I’m always on the lookout for a light that stands out a little bit and announces itself.
- METALLICS: otherwise known as ooh, shiny! Anything that has sparkle, shine or glitter instantly becomes attractive to me. Too much makes a room feel like Vegas, but the right amount brings life and light into the room.
- MOROCCAN: I don’t know how long I will like this style, but currently I am loving all of the intricacies and pattern of Moroccan decor. Their punched metal lanterns (interesting lighting! sheer! texture!) make me want to fill the ceiling with an enormous collection of lanterns!! Please tell me this is a good idea!
- PLANTS: Something I did not realize is that just about every image I save has some kind of plant life in it. Plants make the room come alive and make it feel dynamic. I’m not the best at keeping plants alive, but winter always gives me the desire to try again, so I’m on the lookout for some low maintenance plants for our room.
I spent some serious time this week cleaning out our room and moving a few things around. I feel like I have found a really good starting point. In this picture you can see that I spruced up those nightstands I mentioned in the last post, and also found these lantern/lamp/jewels to dress up said nightstands. I found them at Hobby Lobby for $70 for the pair. They are a mercury glass on the inside and a dark metal on the outside, with a moroccan pattern in the metal. (Metallic! Diffused light! Moroccan!)
After thinking on it for a while, I think what this wall really needs is something to draw the eye up. The nightstands are a much better proportion to the bed now, and they allow the bed to have some breathing room on this wall, which I really like. But now everything is the same height, which makes it all fall a little flat. So I played around in Photoshop for a bit and came up with a couple of options.
I feel like the headboard needs to have some kind of curve, to break up all of the straight lines on this wall. I also want some kind of soft, upholstered headboard, since so often I come in here to read, or I’m up in the middle of the night nursing a baby or what have you, and I want to be comfy! I’ve seen so many fun and interesting headboard ideas, but ultimately I want this room to be comfy and cozy, so upholstered it is.
I like this idea, but I feel like it still falls a little flat. Just too simple and yet another horizontal row with the headboard breaking things up a little. It still doesn’t draw your eye up too much. So then I tried this.
I like this a lot more. The headboard is a little taller and a little bit more interesting, and I like the contrast of a dark fabric. And the big vertical frame gives the whole wall some height and draws the eye up. I have so many pictures I have taken over the years, so one of them converted into black and white and in a nice frame will look great, methinks. I played around in Photoshop with adding something above the nightstands too, kind of halfway up the frame height wise, but I’m unsure about that. I’ll have to play around with it some more. Maybe some cool wall planters with some trailing plants? Some felt wall flowers?
I swapped the dresser so that it’s on the wall opposite the bed, and tucked the chair in the corner. I like the furniture arrangement a lot better, it just all needs some tweaking. I may still paint the dresser, or get a new cushion for the chair, or get a different chair entirely. I’ll just keep fussing with it little by little until it comes together. I definitely want to order a frame for our painting, to give it a little more presence on that wall. And I’m still deciding on new paint colors in here, I figure I’ll get a headboard and get the rest of the furniture right and then decide on paint colors.
I had pretty much made up my mind to get new curtains in here, but decided on a whim to add these sheer ones I bought a while ago (I think for our balcony in the apartment we got when we moved here?) and just see how they looked. I really like them. They’re light and airy and diffuse the light nicely, but they don’t get in the way at night when I want total darkness.
So that’s where things stand in our master. We didn’t end up getting the shower fixed in our ensuite due to some other issues that came up, but we did get around to refinishing the vanity and installing a new sinktop and faucet that I LOVE. I need to touch up the drywall and install the backsplash and then I will show you. It’s SO PRETTY! And the marble has sparkles. So now you KNOW that I love it. Sorry about all the caps. :) Til next time!