Anne at Modern Mrs Darcy hosts a party every year with what’s saving your life right now. I love the idea and thought I would jot down a few things that came to mind. I would say this has been a relatively mild winter so far, and I’ve really been focusing on what I like about winter this year. That has really helped me to not feel those pesky winter doldrums. Of course, not living through an East Coast winter is always a huge help too! Denver gets lots of breaks from the freezing cold, and the snow melts off, and it’s a nice rhythm of cozy snowy days at home and warm days in the sunshine.
That said, it’s been a really challenging couple of months with a ton of things going on and lots of overtime at work, etc. So these are the things that are saving my life right now – not necessarily because of winter, but just because life is very full right now.
- Date Nights: We scaled these back to twice a month (instead of weekly) because they were starting to feel like yet another thing on our schedule instead of something we looked forward to. This seems to be the right balance, and we love them. We don’t usually do anything fancy, just dinner and lots of uninterrupted conversation, but it’s a breath of fresh air every two weeks.
- Twinkle Lights and candles: I’m extremely sensitive to smells this pregnancy, so I’m only burning my tried and true vanilla scented candles. I also bought some solar powered twinkle lights for the trees in the front and the back, and I love them. These ones are especially pretty. I have a few battery operated ones inside the house that I love burying inside plants for a cozy nighttime glow.
- Vanilla Almond Tea from the Republic of Tea. This tea has such a lovely, rich taste, and feels so extravagant. I still drink mostly almond milk, which only enhances the flavors in this tea… perfection. I save it for a special treat every few days.
- Life Group: Our life group is like our family, and I look forward to any time we get to spend with them. My girls and I rally around and support each other as much as possible; watching each other’s kids so we all get a break, sharing challenges and difficulties that we can be praying about, and just doing life together. I love them.
- Kinesiology Tape: I just discovered this and its a lifesaver for those aches and pains associated with pregnancy. Have you ever looked at a diagram of what pregnancy does to your spine? It’s downright unnatural. I use the tape about once a week in strategic places, and leave it on for at least a day, sometimes two. Here’s a great article about the benefits and the proper application.
- Quiet Time: Finding time alone with God lately has been tricky. I’m too tired in the mornings to wake up early, and my three musketeers are on hyperdrive throughout the day. So I’ve started a new experiment, late morning after we do our normal morning routine, I put a show on for them, give Declan a bottle and sit them all on the couch. Then I sit in the next room with my earphones in (but I can still see them all) and listen to some scripture on audio and then write in my prayer journal. I’m not able to do this every day, but when I do, it’s fantastic.
- Hygge: The Danish concept of comfort and coziness during winter is something that I discovered a few years ago. I’m really embracing it this year which looks like; candles, twinkle lights, cozy socks, hot tea, having friends over for dinner, LOTS of baking, homemade bread and all the comfort meals of winter like chili, robust soups and my favorite banana bread recipe. And naps whenever possible.
- Artistry Essentials Hydrating Cleanser My mom sells Amway products and she brought me the cleanser and toner for Christmas. They are doing AMAZING things for my skin. It’s super light and non-drying, but still effective enough to clear out my pores and make everything feel fresh. It’s not cheap, but I think it’s worth it.
- Sabbath: A little while ago I instituted a Sabbath in my schedule. From sundown Saturday night through sundown on Sunday, the goal is rest and refreshment. I don’t work on any projects, or any housework besides keeping the kitchen under control. It makes a big difference in my week, giving me a little time to recharge and focus simply on my family.
- Plants: Fresh flowers frustrate me right now, as I’m busy with other stuff and I feel like I don’t get to enjoy them before they die. I even asked Lover to stop buying them for me. But I just picked up a few new live plants for our bedroom and main living areas, and I am loving the fresh happy green that they bring indoors.
So that’s it! That’s my list of what’s saving my life right now. Mostly little, inexpensive things, but just enough of a pick me up to get through a difficult season.
What’s saving YOUR life right now?